[Samba] How to query for REALM or WORKGROUP before join?

pisymbol . pisymbol at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 13:05:45 MDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 8:52 PM, pisymbol . <pisymbol at gmail.com> wrote:

> Folks:
>
> samba-common-3.5.8-75.fc13.x86_64
> samba-winbind-clients-3.5.8-75.fc13.x86_64
> samba-winbind-3.5.8-75.fc13.x86_64
> samba-client-3.5.8-75.fc13.x86_64
>
> If I try to join without setting the appropriate WORKGROUP I see:
>
> Failed to join domain: Invalid configuration ("workgroup" set to
> 'WORKGROUP', should be 'FOOBAR') and configuration modification was not
> requested
>
> Where does Samba learn what is the appropriate workgroup?
>
> Is there a way to query for it before doing an actual join?
>
> I noticed that if I do: net ads lookup
>
> The "Pre-Win2K Domain" entry seems to correspond with the WORKGROUP.
>
> Will that always work?

Pretty please with Samba sugar on top? Can someone perhaps minimally point
me to a spec so I can RTFM the answer for myself?

Again, if the user doesn't put the correct "workgroup" in their smb.conf
file, it seems on the first join, net autodiscovers it. How?

I was hoping this was an easy one with having to grok through the source.

-aps