[Samba] How to query for REALM or WORKGROUP before join?

pisymbol . pisymbol at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 18:52:35 MDT 2014

Folks:

samba-common-3.5.8-75.fc13.x86_64
samba-winbind-clients-3.5.8-75.fc13.x86_64
samba-winbind-3.5.8-75.fc13.x86_64
samba-client-3.5.8-75.fc13.x86_64

If I try to join without setting the appropriate WORKGROUP I see:

Failed to join domain: Invalid configuration ("workgroup" set to
'WORKGROUP', should be 'FOOBAR') and configuration modification was not
requested

Where does Samba learn what is the appropriate workgroup?

Is there a way to query for it before doing an actual join?

I noticed that if I do: net ads lookup

The "Pre-Win2K Domain" entry seems to correspond with the WORKGROUP.

Will that always work?

Thanks!

-aps