[Samba] changing server role = standalone server to 'member server'

Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom chrome at real-time.com
Wed Apr 2 14:30:08 MDT 2014

On 04/02 09:28 , Matteo Cangi wrote:
> Try to follow
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC
>
> You need to join ad a domain controller

Thanks for the link!
I ran
# samba-tool domain join AD.EXAMPLE.COM DC -Uadministrator --realm=AD.EXAMPLE.COM
and after removing my old smb.conf file, it created a new one with:

when I read the smb.conf man page tho, it really seems to say that this is
for when the samba server is providing all of the AD services. However, I
have a Windows AD server I want to get authentication information from.

Also, syslog now tells me that I should start the 'samba' daemon, and not
the 'smbd' daemon. I thought the 'samba' daemon was only if I wanted to be
the AD server.

If I need to be a DC in order to join the domain, then what is the "server
role = member server" for?

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator