[Samba] changing server role = standalone server to 'member server'

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Apr 6 15:53:55 MDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 15:12 -0400, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> I am testing a Samba v4.1.3 instance on Ubuntu 14.04 prerelease.
> I set it up as a standalone server on a test network, and it was easy to set
> up and worked fine. Now I am trying to migrate it to a different network and
> join it to a Windows 2008 AD server.
>
> When I try to join it to the domain, I get this error:
>
> root at samba-4:/etc/samba# net ads join -U administrator
> Host is not configured as a member server.
> Invalid configuration.  Exiting....
> Failed to join domain: This operation is only allowed for the PDC of the
> domain.
>
> I've gotten a Kerberos ticket already with kinit, so I know it can connect
> to the AD server.
>
> If I try 'testparm -s' I see that it shows "Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE"
> even tho I have "server role = member server" in the config file.

I did intend that this would work, and would behave the same as
'security=ads'.  However, I mucked that up in the leadup to Samba 4.0,
and we really can't change this kind of thing mid-cycle.  In Samba 4.2,
this will work.

As others have pointed out, the server role parameter was added for the
AD DC, however it was not meant to be this confusing.

Sorry about that,

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett