[Samba] changing server role = standalone server to 'member server'

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 2 14:41:59 MDT 2014

On 02/04/14 21:30, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On 04/02 09:28 , Matteo Cangi wrote:
>> Try to follow
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC
>>
>> You need to join ad a domain controller
> Thanks for the link!
> I ran
> # samba-tool domain join AD.EXAMPLE.COM DC -Uadministrator --realm=AD.EXAMPLE.COM
> and after removing my old smb.conf file, it created a new one with:
>
> 	server role = active directory domain controller
>
> when I read the smb.conf man page tho, it really seems to say that this is
> for when the samba server is providing all of the AD services. However, I
> have a Windows AD server I want to get authentication information from.
For Samba 4 AD server, read AD server, i.e. it is just the same as a
microsoft AD server, so a Samba 4 AD server will join to your windows AD
server as just another DC.

> Also, syslog now tells me that I should start the 'samba' daemon, and not
> the 'smbd' daemon. I thought the 'samba' daemon was only if I wanted to be
> the AD server.
I think that you want to run samba4 in 'classic' mode and use it as a
fileserver.

> If I need to be a DC in order to join the domain, then what is the "server
> role = member server" for?
Try doing an internet search on 'active directory member server' and
that is what a proper member does. Whilst you can provision samba4 as a
'member' and it will seem to work, believe me it doesn't, I know I tried!

Rowland