[Samba] samba 4 and external dns(bind)

Taylor, Jonn jonnt at taylortelephone.com
Fri Oct 18 11:22:41 MDT 2013

On 10/18/2013 10:34 AM, Amaury Viera Hernández wrote:
> On 10/18/2013 10:23 AM, Taylor, Jonn wrote:
>> On 10/18/2013 09:10 AM, Amaury Viera Hernández wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> I need to use samba 4 server, but I need to install a server with a
>>> dns service(bind9.8) in other server.
>>> Is that possible?
>>> If yes, There is any documentation for it?
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO
>>
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Dns-backend_bind
>>

> Well,
> Yes, That's the tutorial for using bind with samba,
> but if I use samba in the server01.domain.anything and I need to use
> bind in the server02.domain.anything.
> There are some steps in the tutorial that I can't understand, for
> example:
>
>  Bind 9.8 / 9.9
>
> A DNS keytab file was automatically created during
> provisioning/updating. Add the following' tkey-gssapi-keytab' option
> to the 'options' section of your named.conf:
>
> options {
>      [...]
>      tkey-gssapi-keytab "/usr/local/samba/private/dns.keytab";
>      [...]
> };
>
> Note that /usr/local/samba/private/dns.keytab is in other server
>
> and
>
> During provisioning/upgrading, a file
> ('/usr/local/samba/private/named.conf') was created, that must be
> included in your Bind named.conf:
>
> include "/usr/local/samba/private/named.conf";
>
> Note that: /usr/local/samba/private/named.conf is in other server
>
> Besides, the content of include "/usr/local/samba/private/named.conf";
> is:
> database "dlopen  ...  dlz_bind9.so" and this is in other server

Need a little more info on what you are trying to do. If the second
server is a second domain controller the provision will create these for
you when you join the domain. If you are running a file server that is
part of domain you can setup bind and do zone transfers from the domain
controller.

If you need help with the setup let me know and I can post configs for you.

Jonn