[Samba] samba 4 and external dns(bind)

Antun Horvat antun.horvat at radio101.hr
Fri Oct 18 11:29:59 MDT 2013

On 10/18/2013 07:22 PM, Taylor, Jonn wrote:
> On 10/18/2013 10:34 AM, Amaury Viera Hernández wrote:
>>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO
>>>
>>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Dns-backend_bind
>>>

>> Well,
>> Yes, That's the tutorial for using bind with samba,
>> but if I use samba in the server01.domain.anything and I need to use
>> bind in the server02.domain.anything.
>> There are some steps in the tutorial that I can't understand, for
>> example:
>>
>>  Bind 9.8 / 9.9
>>
>> A DNS keytab file was automatically created during
>> provisioning/updating. Add the following' tkey-gssapi-keytab' option
>> to the 'options' section of your named.conf:
>>
>> options {
>>      [...]
>>      tkey-gssapi-keytab "/usr/local/samba/private/dns.keytab";
>>      [...]
>> };
>>
>> Note that /usr/local/samba/private/dns.keytab is in other server
>>
>> and
>>
>> During provisioning/upgrading, a file
>> ('/usr/local/samba/private/named.conf') was created, that must be
>> included in your Bind named.conf:
>>
>> include "/usr/local/samba/private/named.conf";
>>
>> Note that: /usr/local/samba/private/named.conf is in other server
>>
>> Besides, the content of include
>> "/usr/local/samba/private/named.conf"; is:
>> database "dlopen  ...  dlz_bind9.so" and this is in other server
>>
> Need a little more info on what you are trying to do. If the second
> server is a second domain controller the provision will create these
> for you when you join the domain. If you are running a file server
> that is part of domain you can setup bind and do zone transfers from
> the domain controller.
>
> If you need help with the setup let me know and I can post configs for
> you.
>
> Jonn

I have done something similar in my test environment.
Samba4 DC is  installed on server A and Bind on server B.
All other machines are referring to server B as DNS server, which in
turn has forward rule for the domain that is hosted by Samba4 on server
A.  Also, server B has forward rules for reverse lookup pointed to server A.

Antun