[Samba] One user getting: "Primary group is 0 and contains 0 supplementary groups" on standalone server

Stuart Reedy stu at coe.uky.edu
Mon Oct 14 12:38:37 MDT 2013

On 10/11/2013 11:36 AM, Stuart Reedy wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> We are having some rights issues on Samba 3.6.18 running on Slackware64
> 14.0 (the official Slackware Package).  One of our users is having
> access issues and I believe I have traced the problem to the following
> entry in the log.smbd:
>
>   Primary group is 0 and contains 0 supplementary groups
>
> Issuing the groups command for this user returns the 8 Linux groups in
> which the user has membership.
>
> In researching this, I found another reference to this log entry for
> which the solution had to do with Windows groups and their relationship
> to local groups.
>
> Since we are using Samba stand-alone, we do not create any Windows
> groups and use local Linux groups for privileges. (I'm assuming Samba
> can still be used this way.)
>
> My question is: How does Samba calculate these group memberships?
>
> I'll look through the source code and see what I can see, but I am no
> programming wizard, so I doubt I'll find what I need there.
>
> Thanks!
> Stu...

OK, I found where Samba gets the Linux group information created a C
program that uses the same function (getgroups). Of course, this returns
the correct groups for the user for which Samba claims: Primary group is
0 and contains 0 supplementary groups

Also, the "id" command returns the Linux groups as expected:

uid=6032(REDACTED) gid=6000(REDACTED)
groups=6000(REDACTED),6001(REDACTED),6007(REDACTED),6009(REDACTED),6010(REDACTED),6011(REDACTED),6012(REDACTED),6013(REDACTED),6014(REDACTED)

I'm a a loss as to why this user is not getting the proper rights from
Samba.

Any ideas?

--
Stuart Reedy               Working hard for a great university!
stu at coe.uky.edu
859 257-7966               http://www.coe.uky.edu/~stu/