[Samba] One user getting: "Primary group is 0 and contains 0 supplementary groups" on standalone server

Stuart Reedy stu at coe.uky.edu
Fri Oct 11 09:36:53 MDT 2013

Greetings,

We are having some rights issues on Samba 3.6.18 running on Slackware64
14.0 (the official Slackware Package).  One of our users is having
access issues and I believe I have traced the problem to the following
entry in the log.smbd:

  Primary group is 0 and contains 0 supplementary groups

Issuing the groups command for this user returns the 8 Linux groups in
which the user has membership.

In researching this, I found another reference to this log entry for
which the solution had to do with Windows groups and their relationship
to local groups.

Since we are using Samba stand-alone, we do not create any Windows
groups and use local Linux groups for privileges. (I'm assuming Samba
can still be used this way.)

My question is: How does Samba calculate these group memberships?

I'll look through the source code and see what I can see, but I am no
programming wizard, so I doubt I'll find what I need there.

Thanks!
Stu...
--
Stuart Reedy               Working hard for a great university!
stu at coe.uky.edu
859 257-7966               http://www.coe.uky.edu/~stu/