[Samba] Samba 4 Packages Available for Download

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed May 15 17:09:47 MDT 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 5:02 AM, Björn JACKE <bj at sernet.de> wrote:
> On 2013-05-14 at 13:51 -0300 Fernando Lozano sent off:

>> Another question: if my CentOS server is using samba3 from sernet
>> repos, may I upgrade them using sernet samba4? Or should I uninstall
>> samba3 and do a clean install of samba4, redoing all configuration
>> manually?
>
> yes, the packages are upgradable from previous sernet packages and also from
> the distribution vendor packages.

It's not a trivial upgrade. I've been publishing SRPM components for
building  backports to RHEL 6, based on the Fedora release of Samba
4.0.5, at https://github.com/nkadel/samba-4.0.5-srpm/.  The
integration of full-blown domain controller features, for example, is
a build-time option that is disabled by default for the Fedora and my
SRPM, and there are significant incompatibilities between smb.conf
configuration options between Samba 3.x and Samba 4.x. Simply
upgrading in place is likely to create some real adventures in
configuration integration.

I'd recommend yanking a complete backup, especialliy of Samba 3.x
configurations, and especially using "testparm -v" to collect the
existing settings. Then do a clean re-installation and use "testparm
-v" to review the configuration changes.