[Samba] Samba 4 Packages Available for Download

Chris Fischer chris_f at gmx.net
Thu May 23 15:12:47 MDT 2013

Am 15.05.2013 11:02, schrieb Björn JACKE:
> On 2013-05-14 at 13:51 -0300 Fernando Lozano sent off:
>>> this is just a heads-up that SerNet does provide Samba 4 packages
>>> (including AD DC package) now.
>> It was told on the fedora user's list that the kerberos
>> implementation used by Fedora, RHEL and CentOS conflicts with the
>> samba one, and so Fedora was providing samba4 binaries without AD DC
>> support. This was related to the use of FreeIPA by Fedora and RHEL.
>>
>> So I wasn't expecting to see packages with AD DC support for RHEL
>> and CentOS so soon. Thanks a lot!
>>
>> But how did you manage the kerberos problem? I see you repo provides
>> only samba4 packages, and do not replace any other library or daemin
>> from CentOS and RHEL.
>
> our samba packages use the heimdal that is shipped with s4, we don't use the
> system krb libs.
>

>> Or would the problem be present only on newer Fedora releases, and
>> not on RHEL6 (yet)? Would this be related to the fact servnet does
>> not provide samba4 packages for Fedora, or you simply don't package
>> anything for Fedora?
>
> theoretically red hat could also ship a s4 ad dc with built in heimdal kdc but
> afaik they are working on MIT integration.
>

>> Another question: if my CentOS server is using samba3 from sernet
>> repos, may I upgrade them using sernet samba4? Or should I uninstall
>> samba3 and do a clean install of samba4, redoing all configuration
>> manually?
>
> yes, the packages are upgradable from previous sernet packages and also from
> the distribution vendor packages.
>
> Björn

Hi list, hi Björn,

will it later be possible to use samba4 packages from the distribution
when released, as distribution maintained packages mostly have less
dependency problems or Sernet decides to stop providing binary packages.
Or is the internal structure a bit "proprietary" and the decision to use
your packages not reversibel.

Regards,

Chris