[Samba] Samba 4 Packages Available for Download

Björn JACKE bj at SerNet.DE
Wed May 15 03:02:23 MDT 2013

On 2013-05-14 at 13:51 -0300 Fernando Lozano sent off:
> >this is just a heads-up that SerNet does provide Samba 4 packages
> >(including AD DC package) now.
> It was told on the fedora user's list that the kerberos
> implementation used by Fedora, RHEL and CentOS conflicts with the
> samba one, and so Fedora was providing samba4 binaries without AD DC
> support. This was related to the use of FreeIPA by Fedora and RHEL.
>
> So I wasn't expecting to see packages with AD DC support for RHEL
> and CentOS so soon. Thanks a lot!
>
> But how did you manage the kerberos problem? I see you repo provides
> only samba4 packages, and do not replace any other library or daemin
> from CentOS and RHEL.

our samba packages use the heimdal that is shipped with s4, we don't use the
system krb libs.

> Or would the problem be present only on newer Fedora releases, and
> not on RHEL6 (yet)? Would this be related to the fact servnet does
> not provide samba4 packages for Fedora, or you simply don't package
> anything for Fedora?

theoretically red hat could also ship a s4 ad dc with built in heimdal kdc but
afaik they are working on MIT integration.

> Another question: if my CentOS server is using samba3 from sernet
> repos, may I upgrade them using sernet samba4? Or should I uninstall
> samba3 and do a clean install of samba4, redoing all configuration
> manually?

yes, the packages are upgradable from previous sernet packages and also from
the distribution vendor packages.

Björn