[Samba] Samba 4 Packages Available for Download

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Tue May 14 10:51:00 MDT 2013

Hi there,

[Sorry for cross-posting, I hope I didn't violated any list policies]

> this is just a heads-up that SerNet does provide Samba 4 packages
> (including AD DC package) now.
It was told on the fedora user's list that the kerberos implementation
used by Fedora, RHEL and CentOS conflicts with the samba one, and so
Fedora was providing samba4 binaries without AD DC support. This was
related to the use of FreeIPA by Fedora and RHEL.

So I wasn't expecting to see packages with AD DC support for RHEL and
CentOS so soon. Thanks a lot!

But how did you manage the kerberos problem? I see you repo provides
only samba4 packages, and do not replace any other library or daemin
from CentOS and RHEL.

Or would the problem be present only on newer Fedora releases, and not
on RHEL6 (yet)? Would this be related to the fact servnet does not
provide samba4 packages for Fedora, or you simply don't package anything
for Fedora?

Another question: if my CentOS server is using samba3 from sernet repos,
may I upgrade them using sernet samba4? Or should I uninstall samba3 and
do a clean install of samba4, redoing all configuration manually?

[]s, Fernando Lozano