[Samba] getent passwd works but all wbinfo commands fail

Moby list at mobsternet.com
Mon Jul 8 11:59:54 MDT 2013

I am seeing a bizarre problem on one of my machines.  The machine is
running Samba 3.6.16 and is a member server in a Windows Active
Directory domain.  getent passwd works just fine and returns all users,
including users from the AD domain.  However, all wbinfo commands (such
as wbinfo -t or wbinfo -u) fail with "could not obtain winbind interface
details: WBC_ERR_WINBIND_NOT_AVAILABLE". winbind is running and I see
nothing unusual in the logs.  Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-- Moby