[Samba] NT_STATUS_NO_MEMORY when browsing file server on Belkin modem

Jonathan Schultz jonathan at imatix.com
Thu Jan 10 20:45:15 MST 2013

Hello,

Can someone help me to track down the source of this problem? I'm trying
to access a file server running on a Belkin modem with an attached USB
drive. Judging my the quality of the firmware on the device, I'd say
there's a good chance of it being buggy. But it works well enough on a
Windows machine, even one running inside Virtualbox under Linux. I
therefore see no reason why it shouldn't work using a Samba client.

When I try to connect using smbclient, I can connect OK, and put and
retrieve files. But if I try to browse the share using 'ls' or 'du', it
returns immediately something like 'NT_STATUS_NO_MEMORY listing *' So I
can't get a directory listing of the share, which pretty much makes it
useless.

Interestingly, when I try to connect to it using XBMC running on my
Apple TV, which I assume incorporates samba pretty much off the shelf,
it also returns an error indicating problems allocating memory.

I have enough IT skills to build samba from source and try to reverse
engineer and debug it. I'd just like to benefit from the experience of
others before I go down that path.

Many thanks,

Jonathan