[Samba] NT_STATUS_NO_MEMORY when browsing file server on Belkin modem

Thu Jan 10 23:59:40 MST 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 02:45:15PM +1100, Jonathan Schultz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can someone help me to track down the source of this problem? I'm
> trying to access a file server running on a Belkin modem with an
> attached USB drive. Judging my the quality of the firmware on the
> device, I'd say there's a good chance of it being buggy. But it
> works well enough on a Windows machine, even one running inside
> Virtualbox under Linux. I therefore see no reason why it shouldn't
> work using a Samba client.
>
> When I try to connect using smbclient, I can connect OK, and put and
> retrieve files. But if I try to browse the share using 'ls' or 'du',
> it returns immediately something like 'NT_STATUS_NO_MEMORY listing
> *' So I can't get a directory listing of the share, which pretty
> much makes it useless.
>
> Interestingly, when I try to connect to it using XBMC running on my
> Apple TV, which I assume incorporates samba pretty much off the
> shelf, it also returns an error indicating problems allocating
> memory.
>
> I have enough IT skills to build samba from source and try to
> reverse engineer and debug it. I'd just like to benefit from the
> experience of others before I go down that path.

What we need are comparative network traces from accessing
the box via windows and smbclient. See
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets for info
how to do that best.

Thanks,

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de