[Samba] samba at lists.samba.org

erpo41 at gmail.com erpo41 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 22:46:00 MST 2013

I don't have any immediate fixes, but I have some ideas about how to
approach the issue. This is fundamentally a performance problem as the
software is behaving like it should--just taking too long to complete
a task. The easiest thing to do may be to get on one of the client
Win7 machines and run task manager with the Page Faults Delta column
displayed in the Processes tab. When the hang happens, look for spikes
in Page Faults Delta. If there aren't any, go to the Performance tab
and look for spikes in CPU usage. If there aren't any, go to the
Networking tab and check whether the network interface is saturated
during the delay. If there aren't any of these problems, we can begin
ruling out the client system(s) as the problem.

Once that's done, try running 'top', 'iotop' and 'iftop' on the server
to get the same information. Once that's done we'll be in a much
better place to troubleshoot.

Oh yeah! I'm new to troubleshooting samba, but for some reason the
string 'oplocks' is floating to the top of my brain... I think I
remember reading something in the documentation about various oplock
(really opportunistic caching) settings causing intermittent
performance issues. Have you looked into that already? Is there a
chance applications on different win7 client systems could be trying
to access the same files on the share at the same time?

Thanks,
Eric