[Samba] Network browsing in S4

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Mon Aug 12 14:45:21 MDT 2013

Hello Greg,

Am 12.08.2013 22:32, schrieb Gregory Sloop:
> So, if I understand things correctly, NMBD or network browsing isn't
> functional under S4 yet. [At least I don't believe it was in 4.03 -
> and I don't think that's changed.]

Currently Samba still doesn't support network neighbourhood.

> I have some cases where I need accurate NetBIOS name resolution, [and
> perhaps Network browsing services.]
>
> What is the best way of handling this?
> Is this going to be supported? [or already is with something newer than
> 4.03]

There is a way to start nmbd on a Samba 4 DC manually with doing some
special settings in smb.conf. Andrew told me that secret some time ago.
But it's nothing that is recommended and not supported. But my
experiences with it is, that the browsing list is always much smaller
than it should. So it's better not to use this "workaround".

Regards,
Marc