[Samba] Debian Package Updates

Federico Alberto Sayd fsayd at uncu.edu.ar
Thu Aug 8 06:27:17 MDT 2013

On 04/08/13 21:28, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-08-02 at 14:41 +0100, Dominic Evans wrote:
>> The debian package of samba4 is still sitting at 4.0.3 in
>> experimental. Please could someone (Andrew?) upload an updated package
>> now that we are up to 4.0.7?
>>
>> http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/samba4.html
> We have toiled mightily, and have new experimental packages.  They are
> stuck in the NEW queue, and have been for a month:
> http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html
>
> (This is because we have additional package names, as part of the merge
> with the 'samba' package).
>
> Once that's in, I expect a 4.0.7 will follow shortly.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Hello Andrew

Thanks for your work in the packaging of Samba4.

What do you suggest to those who want install samba 4 on Debian for
production?

I know that Sernet provides samba 4 packages for Debian stable, but,
since Samba is a main  piece in our infraestructure and is a very
complex software, I prefer a official version. I don't know how
difficult it would be the migration from Sernet's packages to the
official Debian packages when these be ready.

Another option is to compile and package sources, but the same problem:
migration to official.

Also, as I understand, Samba4 will be backported only when reach Jessie.
Some suggestion to impatient sysadmins?

Thank you

Federico