[Samba] Samba4 using existing DNS and LDAP

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Tue Aug 6 22:05:06 MDT 2013

On 08/06/2013 02:08 AM, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using Samba3 (and 2) for years, with an openLDAP backend for
> authentication. This is working fine, my directory includes a number of
> local settings for my specific needs.
>
> Now I would like to move to Samba4.
>
> I understand that Samba4 comes with its own DNS and LDAP servers.
>
> By provisioning Samba4 with --dns-backend=NONE and including the
> necessary to my existing DNS zone, is that enough to get rid of the DNS
> server included with Samba4?
Well you can use the bind-dlz plugins so that samba use bind instead of
its own internal server.
Another option is to configure your global DNS to use Samba as the
source of authority just for the domain of your AD.
>   What kind of updates does Samba need to
> perform to DNS? The one at the provisioning and the machine name that
> join the domain (this is already taken care of by DHCP). Is there
> anything I oversee?
>
> Now regarding LDAP, is there a way to tell Samba to replicate the
> directory from my existing openLDAP?
No.
Our LDAP Server support schema upgrade so if the stuff that you have in
your OL has a schema that is compatible to Samba you can update Samba's
schema and then load the data by export/import in Samba.
Another way of doing is by using overlays in OL to present in the
desired way the information coming from both OL and Samba 4.

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team