[Samba] Samba4 using existing DNS and LDAP

Alex Ferrara alex at receptiveit.com.au
Tue Aug 6 16:39:31 MDT 2013

Hi Olivier,

I had a similar situation for many of my clients, and I am not anywhere near the end of it yet. I can offer some of my experience though.

The upgrade procedure is documented in https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/samba-tool/domain/classicupgrade/HOWTO and I ended up using --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ.

If you want to set up an AD domain controller then DNS is really important.

As far as the other ldap things, the classic upgrade does not pull in anything that doesn't have samba attributes. I ended up creating some things from scratch after the fact.

Sent from my iPhone