[Samba] [Announce] Samba 4.0.0rc1 Available for Download

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Sep 13 11:33:07 MDT 2012

On 13/09/12 18:47, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 13/09/12 17:34, steve wrote:
>> On 13/09/12 12:40, Karolin Seeger wrote:
>>> Release Announcements
>>
>> Is the Internal DNS now the default?
>>
>> I upgraded from beta 8 and could only get the samba binary to work if
>> I stopped by distro's bind configured with bind dlz Here it is with
>> bind working:
>>
>> failed to bind to fe80::212:f0ff:fe06:9cda%eth1:53 TCP -
>> NT_STATUS_ADDRESS_ALREADY_ASSOCIATED
>> task_server_terminate: [dns failed to setup interfaces]
>> standard_terminate: reason[dns failed to setup interfaces]
>> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: smbd version 4.1.0pre1-GIT-9158423 started.
>>

>> If I turn off bind, I lose my Internet connection.
>>
>> Please be clear.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Steve
>
> Hi Steve, yes the internal dns server is now the default, is that clear
> enough ;-)
Not for us. No. we need to what to do and what to change to make it the
default. Just tell us.

> Yes, you have a choice but how?

Answered in my last inline.

> And it gets worse,

Yeah, I know it does. Try explaining it to 10 irate Spaniards.

Thanks Rowland
No. That's the point. Having followed the discussions for the last week
it seemed highly unlikely Kai would get anywhere near the RC1. It
doesn't add a forwarder nor interfaces line nor warn you that after the
upgrade to the RC you have to work out how to add these yourself. And
lets be fair, it most probably would do if we built and provisioned from
new. I've 2000 + users just started a new term over here and I want to
move forward, not roll back.

Ah well, the air-con goes off in 10 minutes and I'm going home;)
Cheers,
Steve