[Samba] [Announce] Samba 4.0.0rc1 Available for Download

Rowland Penny rpenny at f2s.com
Thu Sep 13 10:47:25 MDT 2012

On 13/09/12 17:34, steve wrote:
> On 13/09/12 12:40, Karolin Seeger wrote:
>> Release Announcements
>
> Is the Internal DNS now the default?
>
> I upgraded from beta 8 and could only get the samba binary to work if
> I stopped by distro's bind configured with bind dlz Here it is with
> bind working:
>
> failed to bind to fe80::212:f0ff:fe06:9cda%eth1:53 TCP -
> NT_STATUS_ADDRESS_ALREADY_ASSOCIATED
> task_server_terminate: [dns failed to setup interfaces]
> standard_terminate: reason[dns failed to setup interfaces]
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: smbd version 4.1.0pre1-GIT-9158423 started.
>

> If I turn off bind, I lose my Internet connection.
>
> Please be clear.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Hi Steve, yes the internal dns server is now the default, is that clear
enough ;-)

But this from the annoucement isn't:

As DNS is an integral part of Active Directory, we also provide two DNS
solutions, a simple internal DNS server for 'out of the box' configurations
and a more elaborate BIND plugin using the BIND DLZ mechanism in versions
9.8 and 9.9. During the provision, you can select which backend to use.
With the internal backend, your DNS server is good to go.
If you chose the BIND_DLZ backend, a configuration file will be generated
for bind to make it use this plugin, as well as a file explaining how to
set up bind.

Yes, you have a choice but how?

And it gets worse, if you do not choose, it defaults to the internal and
adds a dns forwarder line based (I believe) on what is in your
/etc/resolv.conf and when you change this file to point towards
127.0.0.1 as you would for bind it doesn't work. You have to add the
line 'interfaces = 127.0.0.1 192.168.0.5' to smb.conf to get it to work.

Have fun.

Rowland

believed to be clean.