[Samba] Windows boxes cannot find the file server

Rowland Penny rpenny at f2s.com
Mon Sep 3 02:46:36 MDT 2012

On 03/09/12 08:41, steve wrote:
> Hi
> I have a Samba4 AD running samba and a Samba3 machine joined to the
> domain as a file server. I have smbd and winbind running on the samba3
> box.
>
> Samba4: hh30.hh3.site
> Samba3: hh32.hh3.site
>
> I can browse the shares (netlogon and sysvol) on the S4 machine by
> typing \\hh30 into explorer but if I type \\hh32 I get:
>
> Windows cannot find '\\hh32'. Check the spelling. . .etc.
>
> When I start nmbd on the server I get:
> The security database on the server does not have a computer account
> for this workstation trust relationship.
>
> Here is the config on the S3 fie server:
>
> [global]
>     preferred master = Yes
>     workgroup = ALTEA
>     security = ADS
>     winbind enum users = Yes
>     winbind enum groups = Yes
>     idmap config *:backend = ad
>     idmap config *:range  = 2500-3000
>     idmap config ALTEA:backend = ad
>     idmap config ALTEA:range = 20000-40000000
>     idmap config ALTEA:schema_mode = rfc2307
>     winbind nss info = rfc2307
>     winbind expand groups = 2
>     winbind nested groups = yes
>     winbind use default domain = Yes
>     usershare allow guests = No
>     realm = HH3.SITE
>     winbind refresh tickets = yes
>
> [profiles]
> path = /home2/profiles
> read only = No
>
> [home]
> path = /home2/home
> read only = No
>
> [staff]
> path = /home2/staff
> read only = No
>
> Question:
> How do I get the windows machines to look for the fileserver as well
> as the DC?
> Thanks,
> Steve

Hi Steve,

This, to me, seems to be a network resolution problem. I take it that
hh32.hh3.site has a fixed ip and 'dig hh32.hh3.site' run on the
nameserver gives the correct ip.

How do the clients get their ipaddresses? are they fixed or supplied by
DHCP? what nameserver are they pointed at? does this nameserver know
about hh32?

What does 'ipconfig /all' (run in a dos box on the client) give?

Rowland

believed to be clean.