[Samba] Windows boxes cannot find the file server [SOLVED]

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Sep 3 03:37:55 MDT 2012

On 03/09/12 10:46, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 03/09/12 08:41, steve wrote:

> How do the clients get their ipaddresses? are they fixed or supplied by
> DHCP? what nameserver are they pointed at? does this nameserver know
> about hh32?

Hi Rowland. Hi everyone

Your reply gave me the clue I needed. When the fileserver joined the
domain I got a DNS update error that the update for hh32 failed. I made
it a fixed IP and added an A record hh32.hh3.site and the CNAME hh32 to
the DC using samba-tool. Now it works although it worries me that
  net ads join
on a Linux box does not update DNS correctly.

For the record (jejeje) I may add that adding Linux clients that are
DHCP (i.e. not crucial file servers) also get the same failed DNS update
message upon joining, but thereafter work fine.

Cheers,
Steve