[Samba] Windows boxes cannot find the file server

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Sep 3 01:41:20 MDT 2012

Hi
I have a Samba4 AD running samba and a Samba3 machine joined to the
domain as a file server. I have smbd and winbind running on the samba3 box.

Samba4: hh30.hh3.site
Samba3: hh32.hh3.site

I can browse the shares (netlogon and sysvol) on the S4 machine by
typing \\hh30 into explorer but if I type \\hh32 I get:

Windows cannot find '\\hh32'. Check the spelling. . .etc.

When I start nmbd on the server I get:
The security database on the server does not have a computer account for
this workstation trust relationship.

Here is the config on the S3 fie server:

[global]
	preferred master = Yes
	workgroup = ALTEA
	security = ADS
	winbind enum users = Yes
	winbind enum groups = Yes
	idmap config *:backend = ad
	idmap config *:range  = 2500-3000
	idmap config ALTEA:backend = ad
	idmap config ALTEA:range = 20000-40000000
	idmap config ALTEA:schema_mode = rfc2307
	winbind nss info = rfc2307
	winbind expand groups = 2
	winbind nested groups = yes
	winbind use default domain = Yes
	usershare allow guests = No
	realm = HH3.SITE
	winbind refresh tickets = yes

[profiles]
path = /home2/profiles
read only = No

[home]
path = /home2/home
read only = No

[staff]
path = /home2/staff
read only = No

Question:
How do I get the windows machines to look for the fileserver as well as
the DC?
Thanks,
Steve