[Samba] suggestion for filesystem or general performance optimization

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Mon Sep 3 01:36:54 MDT 2012

Hi,

recently I noticed, that we have some performance issues regarding our
central samba fileserver. Red Hat EL 5.8, samba3x-3.5.10-0.109.

Doing a rsync, scp or accessing a share from a client and copy large
files (e.g. 3 GB ISO), I do get a read / write average about 60 to 90
MB/sec. So LAN and general hardware can work at max. lan speed.

But copying or syncing small files, e.g. user profiles etc. or doing a
backup of the smaller files lets drop the average performance to 10
MB/Sec or less :(

We use ext3 (noatime), the storage is connected by iscsi, it is a sun
storage with sas harddisk.

All suggestions so far: migrate to ext4 and good luck :)

I read a couple of filesystem comparisons and ext4 looks like the best
option, but what else could I do or expect?

Locking? Limits ... blocksizes, more RAM (4GB installed), we have about
600GB of user data. so not really much...

	Thanks for any suggestion or hint . Regards . Götz

--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH