[Samba] NIS to SAMBA4 Migration

Murray Fraser msfraser at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 03:55:15 MST 2012

I am also struggling to find up to date information on using Samba 4 with
linux clients. I have managed to get the RFC 2307 fields by installing the
'NIS tools' feature on a W2k8 DC, and creating a 'NIS domain'. Previously I
could see the fields, but could not select a NIS domain in the ADUC tool to
make the RFC 2307 fields enabled.

I'm also trying to find out the correct way to add the autohome nis map. I
have tried:

ldbmodify -H /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb automount_template.ldif
--option="dsdb:schema update allowed"=true

But this seemed to fail. I have thought I might need to use the Microsoft
schema management tool to add the automount schema.