[Samba] NIS to SAMBA4 Migration

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Fri Nov 23 23:01:22 MST 2012

Hi,
> Hello Steve,
>
> The only way I have found to enable those options is to provision with
> "--use-rfc2307". We are performing an upgrade from Samba3 and I noticed
> that the options were not grayed out after performing a classicupgrade, but
> were grayed out after a "clean" provision. I finally figured out that the
> classicupgrade always uses the "--use-rfc2307" flag. This flag will add the
> option "idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes" to your smb.conf, however, it has been
> my experience that adding that to smb.conf post-provision does not enable
> the UNIX Attributes options, so the provision option must do something
> else. I would like to know if there is a way to enable this after the fact,
> but I've not come up with anything yet. I need to complete further testing
> on the actual authentication of Linux clients, Apache, RADIUS and OpenVPN,
> but have run into a show-stopper with DNS replication and have moved all my
> efforts to this for the time being. I was able to get Linux clients
> authenticating via winbind, but this was before I found out about the
> "--use-rfc2307" option and winbind was using auto-generated UIDs and GIDs.
> Any notes you come up with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Thomas.

Provisioning with --use-rfc2307 also loads the "NIS" schema into AD and
thus allows you to set that attributes via ADUC.
To do the same after provision you would need to import the schema after
provision. The skeleton of it is in
/usr/local/samba/share/setup/ypServ30.ldif
on a default install.

Regards

Geza Gemes