[Samba] Grant only one AD group to samba share ?

Newman, John W John.newman at viaoncology.com
Tue May 22 14:17:52 MDT 2012

>Which version of Samba are you using?
Samba version 3.5.11

>What does the idmap backend configuration for winbind look like?
Well.. I'm not really sure what that is (I inherited this project).  In smb.conf all he has here is:  idmap uid = 10000-20000     idmap gid=10000-20000 .... I don't see idmap backend = set at all in here.  That is probably a big part of the problem isn't it?

>Does testparm yield any errors?
ERROR: the 'winbind separator' parameter must be a single character.    Hmm.. I just changed that to a single \ , and our existing authentication service still works fine, but the share behaves no differently.  The extra \ was probably in error from this file being edited with sed.

>Do getent group and wbinfo -g return the expected results?
getent group shows all of the local linux groups on this machine - no AD groups.  Is that expected?
wbinfo -g shows the windows groups fine, the only thing that's odd is is all of the groups on this domain show in lower case.  They may or may not be that way in their AD, I can't see for sure.   (We are forcing a linux machine into someones windows network.... )

>Are nsswitch.conf and PAM configured for authentication?
For what kind of authentication?   /etc/nsswitch and /etc/pam/* are untouched from the defaults.

All that has really been setup so far is an apache service that uses mod_auth_ntlm_winbind to authenticate users of a webpage to their DC.  We are now trying to expand that samba/winbind stack over into sharing a folder.  So, we probably do need to look at modifying those files, and id mapping, to have a samba share authenticate against the DC.  Right?  For some reason I figured this part would just work since the join already happened.

Thanks again!