[Samba] Grant only one AD group to samba share ?

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Tue May 22 14:53:08 MDT 2012

On 05/22/2012 3:17 PM, Newman, John W wrote:
>> Which version of Samba are you using?
> Samba version 3.5.11
>
>> What does the idmap backend configuration for winbind look like?
> Well.. I'm not really sure what that is (I inherited this project).  In smb.conf all he has here is:  idmap uid = 10000-20000     idmap gid=10000-20000 .... I don't see idmap backend = set at all in here.  That is probably a big part of the problem isn't it?

It would be using the default tdb backend.  You could do a testparm -sv
and grep for idmap and winbind to see all the parameters that are
available.  Better still, if you have SWAT and samba-doc installed, you
can easily see the options available for each parameter.

>> Does testparm yield any errors?
> ERROR: the 'winbind separator' parameter must be a single character.    Hmm.. I just changed that to a single \ , and our existing authentication service still works fine, but the share behaves no differently.  The extra \ was probably in error from this file being edited with sed.
>
>> Do getent group and wbinfo -g return the expected results?
> getent group shows all of the local linux groups on this machine - no AD groups.  Is that expected?

If you have winbind enum groups = Yes, then they should show, otherwise
not.  Domains with large numbers of users usually leave this as No (also
winbind enum users).
> wbinfo -g shows the windows groups fine, the only thing that's odd is is all of the groups on this domain show in lower case.
That's normal for winbind.
>    They may or may not be that way in their AD, I can't see for sure.   (We are forcing a linux machine into someones windows network.... )
>
>> Are nsswitch.conf and PAM configured for authentication?
> For what kind of authentication?   /etc/nsswitch and /etc/pam/* are untouched from the defaults.
In nsswitch.conf, you will need to add winbind to the passwd and group
entries.  The article I previously linked (below) has an example PAM
config (/etc/pam.d/login) for winbind.
For completeness, you might also want to look at this:
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netos/article.php/3487081/Join-Samba-3-to-Your--Active-Directory-Domain.htm

> All that has really been setup so far is an apache service that uses mod_auth_ntlm_winbind to authenticate users of a webpage to their DC.  We are now trying to expand that samba/winbind stack over into sharing a folder.  So, we probably do need to look at modifying those files, and id mapping, to have a samba share authenticate against the DC.  Right?  For some reason I figured this part would just work since the join already happened.

A domain can be joined without winbind, but there are steps to take to
actually use it.