[Samba] windows 7 roaming profiles

Thu Mar 29 14:04:38 MDT 2012

On 2012-03-29 3:36 PM, Miguel Medalha <miguelmedalha at sapo.pt> wrote:
>> Folder Redirection will always (I think - or maybe Samba has a way to
>> disable this, but I don't think it would be a good idea at all) store
>> local cached copy of those folders on the local computer... what it
>> accomplishes is it saves all of the copying back and forth when
>> logging in/out.

> NO, IT DOESN'T!

Microsoft disagrees - see below.

> What you describe is the behavior of normal *roaming profiles*.

No... you can use a combination of roaming profiles and redirected
folders for the best result, which is what I do. The stuff in t he
roaming profiles (very little) is copied back/forth at login/out, the
stuff in t he redirected folders is *synchronized* at all times using
the Offline Files technology that has long existed in Microsofts products.

> Folder redirection *does not* move files back and forth.

Yes, it does, but it does so on an ongoing basis (except for the first
logon). When  the user creates a new file in a redirectd folder, it is
saved *simultaneously* to both the local cache and the server side folder.

> The files in redirected folders will always reside on the server. I
> know this not only from theory but *from experience*.

Yes, but they will *also* reside on the *local computer*.

 From the below link:

"Folder Redirection improvements in Windows 7

The Folder Redirection feature in the Windows operating system allows
administrators to redirect user folders such as Documents, Pictures, or
Music to shared folders that are hosted on servers. Folder Redirection
is used in conjunction with the Offline Files technology to ensure that
the user’s data is available when the network connection to the server
that is hosting a redirected folder becomes latent or unavailable."

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff458273%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

--

Best regards,

Charles