[Samba] windows 7 roaming profiles

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Thu Mar 29 14:36:58 MDT 2012

>> NO, IT DOESN'T!
>
> Microsoft disagrees - see below.

You are introducing a new theme altogether: Offline Files. On a local
and *reliable* network, you can use folder redirection *without* Offline
Files. I did it and it works.

>> What you describe is the behavior of normal *roaming profiles*.
>
> No... you can use a combination of roaming profiles and redirected
> folders for the best result, which is what I do.

That's precisely what I was advocating. Please read my posts.

> The stuff in t he roaming profiles (very little) is copied back/forth
> at login/out, the stuff in t he redirected folders is *synchronized*
> at all times using the Offline Files technology that has long existed
> in Microsofts products.

Maybe you were not very clear in your first post. You said the following:

"Folder Redirection will always (...) store local cached copy of those
folders on the local computer... what it accomplishes is it saves all of
the copying back and forth when logging in/out."

which is not true. Even with Offline Files, only the files you are
working with will be synchronized back and forth. The redirected folders
themselves and the files previously stored therein will not be
transferred to the client machine. This makes a big difference because
we may be talking about Gigabytes of data. A roaming profile without
folder redirection does transfer the whole profile, which might have
been a good idea a decade ago but is not feasible with the amounts of
data we work with today.

> Yes, but they will *also* reside on the *local computer*.

As I said before, only the files you are modifying will have a local
instance, which will be synchronized to the server at logout.