[Samba] Is the PDC always needed?

David Noriega tsk133 at my.utsa.edu
Mon Mar 26 10:27:16 MDT 2012

Maybe my understanding is flawed but I thought the purpose of the BDC
was in the case of the PDC going offline, users could still use the
system. Just this morning our PDC failed with bad memory, yet users
were unable to map their network drive. The PDC is in our office while
the file server is in the server room where its been setup as a domain
member. On the server room subnet is its own BDC with its own ldap
server. Checking the logs I see that the server room BDC is listed as
the local domain server. The only thing that comes to mind is the BDC
does point to the PDC as the wins server. Is that the issue? Is there
a way around it?

--
David Noriega
System Administrator