[Samba] Samba4 alpha 19 confusion

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 15:02:51 MST 2012

Hi

On 25 February 2012 04:26, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> samba --version
> Version 4.0.0alpha19-GIT-c9ef087
>
> Tricky installation. Existing alpha 18 git
>
> Had to run make twice. OK with that now. But none of the commands would

You should probably not have to run make twice.  Just use the
installed tools instead of the ones in the build directory.  e.g.
/usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool instead of
source4/scripting/bin/samba-tool.

> work. samba, samba-tool. . . All gave errors e.g.
> samba-tool
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/home/steve/bin/samba-tool", line 26, in <module>
>    from samba.netcmd.main import cmd_sambatool
[...]
> ImportError: No module named tdb
>
> I found that the build had placed hundreds of links in the first directory
> in my path, /home/steve/bin. I moved the folder out of he path and the
> commands began working again.

>From the above it seems like you might have checked out the samba
source into /home/steve and then built it there?  Or if not then
perhaps you installed to /home/steve instead of /usr/local/samba (if
not this time then some time in the past.)

If you somehow had the source in /home/steve instead of e.g.
/home/steve/samba or something, then don't do that :)  Samba uses the
"bin" subdirectory while building and the stuff it stores there should
not be used after you've installed it.

> There are many binaries/scripts I'd not seen before e.g.
>
> localgroup_add         read_7             stat_3           write_12

Yes, that's definitely from the samba build and should NOT be in
/home/steve/bin or any other directory in your PATH.

> to name but a few. Things seem to be working with the stuff under samba/bin
> and samba/sbin but could someone explain what has happened? Will I be
> needing that stuff?

No.

> Do I need to run upgradeprovision?

No.  You really should subscribe to samba-technical.  I've copied my
reply there.  Andrew just posted an announcement about the release of
samba4 alpha 18 in which he said not to run upgradeprovision for the
moment.  The alpha 19-GIT-blah is a development build, so the latest
official release is alpha 18.

> BTW. Would it be possible for make install to actually install, rather than
> have to rely on stuff that's left in my home folder?

make install *does* actually install and does not rely on stuff left
in your home directory.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>