[Samba] Samba4 alpha 19 confusion

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sat Feb 25 17:20:18 MST 2012

On 02/25/2012 11:02 PM, Michael Wood wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 25 February 2012 04:26, steve<steve at steve-ss.com>  wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> samba --version
>> Version 4.0.0alpha19-GIT-c9ef087
>>
>> Tricky installation. Existing alpha 18 git
>>
>> Had to run make twice. OK with that now. But none of the commands would
> You should probably not have to run make twice.  Just use the
> installed tools instead of the ones in the build directory.  e.g.
> /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool instead of
> source4/scripting/bin/samba-tool.
>
>> work. samba, samba-tool. . . All gave errors e.g.
>> samba-tool
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/home/steve/bin/samba-tool", line 26, in<module>
>>     from samba.netcmd.main import cmd_sambatool
> [...]
>> ImportError: No module named tdb
>>
>> I found that the build had placed hundreds of links in the first directory
>> in my path, /home/steve/bin. I moved the folder out of he path and the
>> commands began working again.
> > From the above it seems like you might have checked out the samba
> source into /home/steve and then built it there?  Or if not then
> perhaps you installed to /home/steve instead of /usr/local/samba (if
> not this time then some time in the past.)
>
> If you somehow had the source in /home/steve instead of e.g.
> /home/steve/samba or something, then don't do that :)  Samba uses the
> "bin" subdirectory while building and the stuff it stores there should
> not be used after you've installed it.
>
>> There are many binaries/scripts I'd not seen before e.g.
>>
>> localgroup_add         read_7             stat_3           write_12
> Yes, that's definitely from the samba build and should NOT be in
> /home/steve/bin or any other directory in your PATH.
>
>> to name but a few. Things seem to be working with the stuff under samba/bin
>> and samba/sbin but could someone explain what has happened? Will I be
>> needing that stuff?
> No.
>
>> Do I need to run upgradeprovision?
> No.  You really should subscribe to samba-technical.  I've copied my
> reply there.  Andrew just posted an announcement about the release of
> samba4 alpha 18 in which he said not to run upgradeprovision for the
> moment.  The alpha 19-GIT-blah is a development build, so the latest
> official release is alpha 18.
>
>> BTW. Would it be possible for make install to actually install, rather than
>> have to rely on stuff that's left in my home folder?
> make install *does* actually install and does not rely on stuff left
> in your home directory.
>
>> Thanks and sorry for so many questions.
>> Steve
Hi Michael

Thanks for clearing this up. I got the update from git pull against the
previously checked out version. It is in /home/steve/samba-master and
/home/steve/bin is the first directory set in my path. mv-ing the bin
folder gave me the binaries under /usr/local/samba as I had had from
previous builds. It seems to be OK as the version numbers and dates
under samba/bin and sbin coincide with the date on which I built the
source. I didn't realise that the build used a temporary folder.
Previous builds never put anything in bin. Or maybe they did but deleted
it afterwards. Anyway, I've not lost anything in the process.

I've just written some scripts for posix-ifying s4 domain users and
groups. Only bash I'm afraid, no python. So I still don't think I'm
qualified enough for samba-technical;-)
Cheers,
Steve