[Samba] Samba4 alpha 19 confusion

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri Feb 24 19:26:40 MST 2012

Hi everyone

samba --version
Version 4.0.0alpha19-GIT-c9ef087

Tricky installation. Existing alpha 18 git

Had to run make twice. OK with that now. But none of the commands would
work. samba, samba-tool. . . All gave errors e.g.
samba-tool
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/steve/bin/samba-tool", line 26, in <module>
     from samba.netcmd.main import cmd_sambatool
   File "bin/python/samba/netcmd/main.py", line 24, in <module>
     from samba.netcmd.delegation import cmd_delegation
   File "bin/python/samba/netcmd/delegation.py", line 25, in <module>
     from samba import provision
   File "bin/python/samba/provision/__init__.py", line 80, in <module>
     from samba.provision.common import (
   File "bin/python/samba/provision/common.py", line 31, in <module>
     import tdb
ImportError: No module named tdb

I found that the build had placed hundreds of links in the first
directory in my path, /home/steve/bin. I moved the folder out of he path
and the commands began working again.

There are many binaries/scripts I'd not seen before e.g.

localgroup_add         read_7             stat_3           write_12
to name but a few. Things seem to be working with the stuff under
samba/bin and samba/sbin but could someone explain what has happened?
Will I be needing that stuff? Do I need to run upgradeprovision?

BTW. Would it be possible for make install to actually install, rather
than have to rely on stuff that's left in my home folder?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions.
Steve