[Samba] difference between version 3.x and version 4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 19 15:25:42 MST 2012

On Wed, 2012-12-19 at 10:48 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-12-19 at 08:38 +0000, Nirmit Kansal wrote:

> > And I am also having a question as we are using 3.x so only because of
> > active directory in 4.0 we should migrate from 3.x to 4.0 or is it
> > having some more additional features that can be useful in future.
> > Please reply as soon as possible.
>
> If you want to be an Active Directory domain controller you must be
> version 4.
>
> If you just want to be a file/print server [even as a *member* of an
> Active Directory domain] then stick with version 3.

I want to make clear that, aside from changes like the removal of
depreciated features like 'security=server' and 'security=share',
essentially all the features of Samba 3.x are in Samba 4.0.  We call the
NT4-like domains that Samba 3.x supported 'classic' domains, and they
continue to be supported by smbd/nmbd.  Likewise, the domain membership
code is handled in the same way, and remains fully supported.

Samba 4.0 is our new production release.

Andrew Bartlett