[Samba] difference between version 3.x and version 4

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Dec 19 08:48:14 MST 2012

On Wed, 2012-12-19 at 08:38 +0000, Nirmit Kansal wrote:
> Actually I am working on a project in which we are migrating from 3.x to 4, so
> Please tell me the difference in versions

See the WHATSNEW file for configuration parameters added, changed, or
removed.

v3 and v4 are quite different.

> and also give me information that how we can use active directory of
> 4.0 effectively as we are having CIFS and Kerberos feature in 3.x,
> And how this active directory can be helpful in our implementation.

That depends on a lot of things; and isn't really Samba specific.

But:
  (a) Kerberos is good
  (b) Using a directory services centric approach is good
  (c) Policies are good
  (d) Integrated DNS is good

It is a lot to learn, but Active Directory is in every possible way a
superior solution than NT4 Domains.

> And I am also having a question as we are using 3.x so only because of
> active directory in 4.0 we should migrate from 3.x to 4.0 or is it
> having some more additional features that can be useful in future.
> Please reply as soon as possible.

If you want to be an Active Directory domain controller you must be
version 4.

If you just want to be a file/print server [even as a *member* of an
Active Directory domain] then stick with version 3.