[Samba] Fwd: Samba 4 / DNS

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 02:54:35 MST 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 4:51 AM
Subject: Re: [Samba] Samba 4 / DNS
To: Thomas Simmons <twsnnva at gmail.com>

> If you have multi-homed systems, why can't you specify multiple DNS servers
> on the workstations (one from the "public" network and the AD server on the
> "private" network). Of course this assumes your using a domain name that the
> first DNS server can't resolve.

I believe the problem with that is that if the first DNS server
returns that the address is not found the windows dns client does not
try other DNS servers.

Also, when you say "My samba 3 servers are
> not permitted to be connected to the company network/internet", does this
> mean directly connected? You could configure ICS (NAT) on one of the W7
> systems and have your S4 server forward all requests to the DNS server on
> the primary network. This is how I'm currently running my S4 test setup to
> keep it segregated from my main network which is controlled by an S3 PDC.

That would not work either. Basically my non approved linux boxes are
not permitted to have any connection to the Internet. NAT or proxy is
certainly out.

John

--
John M. Drescher