[Samba] join domain from different subnet (VPN)

real-men-dont-click at gmx.net real-men-dont-click at gmx.net
Thu Aug 30 03:34:48 MDT 2012

Hello everybody,

we have a problem joining a domain from a remote location.

The remote location is connected via VPN. Everything is working as exspected but joining the samba domain from the remote location does not work.

- Server Samba Version is 3.5.10
- Windows Client is XP SP3
- Joining the domain locally works without problems
- ping does work in both directions
- WINS is running on the local PDC and resolves across VPN (I tested with a Linux client using nbmlookup)
- the WINS server is configured on the client
- NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled on the client
- Windows on the client firewall is OFF
- even adding entries to the client's lmhosts file didn't solve the problem

Any suggestions?

thx

Carsten