[Samba] samber server in openvz container - venet oder veth0?

Johannes Truschnigg johannes at truschnigg.info
Tue Aug 7 05:53:44 MDT 2012

Hi Birgit,

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 01:38:32PM +0200, Birgit Berger (UV Wien) wrote:
> I'm new to the list. hopefully my question is correctly placed here...
>
> I'd installed my samba server 3.5.6 on debian squeeze in a openvz
> container that uses venet. I'd love to keep it that way but I'm not sure
> if that is ok. Do you use samba server with venet or do I have to change
> to veth?
>
> I already read http://wiki.openvz.org/Differences_between_venet_and_veth
> and I don't want to intall shorewall in every container (VE). Also venet
> seems easier to administrate and is faster.
>
> I read
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/diagnosis.html
> and nmblookup (chapters 4,5,6 and 10) doesn't work. This is because of
> venet, I suppose. Because with venet broadcasting doesn't work. But do I
> really need it for the Samba server or can I just use DNS (on other
> servers than the samba server) and WINS server (on the samba server)? Can
> I stick to venet or should I use veth?

Do you have clients on the network that you know absolutely require WINS for
resolving names? (I'd actually have a hard time believing that, but who
knows...) Other than that, not having WINS but DNS as its modern and sensible
replacement in working condition should be perfectly sufficient for your day
to day Samba (and other networking) needs. I've been running Samba without
nmbd enabled for a few years now (with Windows XP, Windows 7 and GNU/Linux as
clients) and did not run into any problems becasue of that.

Grüße aus und nach Wien ;)

--
with best regards:
- Johannes Truschnigg ( johannes at truschnigg.info )

www:   http://johannes.truschnigg.info/
phone: +43 650 2 133337
xmpp:  johannes at truschnigg.info

Please do not bother me with HTML-email or attachments. Thank you.