[Samba] samber server in openvz container - venet oder veth0?

Birgit Berger (UV Wien) birgit.berger at oeh.univie.ac.at
Tue Aug 7 05:38:32 MDT 2012

I'm new to the list. hopefully my question is correctly placed here...

I'd installed my samba server 3.5.6 on debian squeeze in a openvz
container that uses venet. I'd love to keep it that way but I'm not sure
if that is ok. Do you use samba server with venet or do I have to change
to veth?

I already read http://wiki.openvz.org/Differences_between_venet_and_veth
and I don't want to intall shorewall in every container (VE). Also venet
seems easier to administrate and is faster.

I read
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/diagnosis.html
and nmblookup (chapters 4,5,6 and 10) doesn't work. This is because of
venet, I suppose. Because with venet broadcasting doesn't work. But do I
really need it for the Samba server or can I just use DNS (on other
servers than the samba server) and WINS server (on the samba server)? Can
I stick to venet or should I use veth?

What are your suggestions?

kind regards,
Birgit Berger