[Samba] Different permissions displayed in "security" tab and "advanced" tab

David Roid dataroid at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 03:28:39 MDT 2011

Hello everyone,

Got a weird ACL issue:

First of all, my Linux host is fully ACL enabled (kernel support, file
system support, mount with xattr, library support, samba compilation
support, all set).

Then a share is created with vfs acl_xattr and ea support on, got mounted on
a Windows client as administrator, and a directory created right under the
drive. The issue is when I was checking out the security tab, as can be seen
from attached screenshot, the administrator is displayed with no permission
at all (nothing ticked) in the basic security tab, whereas the advanced tab
shows the administrator with full control, which is self-contradictory and
confusing. I then try to grant some permission to administrator by ticking
and clicking apply, failed with the error "can't save the changes... the
parameter is invalid".

I do suppose full control is correct because I can read, write and
everything under the directory, plus getfacl from Linux side demonstrated
that administrator is actually with "rwx" on the newly created directory.

Any idea why is this? Thanks in advance.

p.s. I have no problem adding/granting additional ACLs for users other than
administrator.

Regards
-David