[Samba] Samba only access by ip but not hostname/server string

ted_chou12 ted_chou12 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 13:26:52 MST 2011

Hi, I am using samba version 3 (probably), and the problem is that the linux
based nas can only be accessed via its ip 192.168.x.x but not its hostname
/server string appointed by the smb.conf file:
[code]
[global]
netbios name = NAS
server string = NAS
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
security = SHARE
workgroup = WORKGROUP
encrypt passwords = true
short preserve case = yes
preserve case = yes
guest account = ftp
guest ok = yes
force user = root
force group = root
socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384 SO_SNDBUF=16384
interfaces = eth0 lo
[/code]
I tried to search this problem online, but there is very little information
and answered questions regarding.
Thanks!
Ted C.