[Samba] [SOLVED] Re: Problems with Windows 7 on domain, Samba server not

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Mon Jan 31 16:05:09 MST 2011

On Tuesday 12 October 2010, Joshua J. Kugler elucidated thus:
> I've googled and read, and haven't run across any solutions to this
> problem. Yes, I know about the "Network Security: LAN Manager
> authentication level" change, but, as you will see, this isn't the
> issue.
>
> Samba 3.4.7
> Windows 7
>
> Windows machine is on a domain. Samba box is *not* on a domain.
>
> Windows insists on adding the domain to the user name when browsing
> to Samba machine. Saving credentials and editing in Credential
> Manager kind of works, and the Samba share will open once the
> password is entered yet another time (don't know why)but it only
> saves it until logout.
>
> Adding the samba host/user/pass in Generic Credentials doesn't seem
> to make windows use that user/pass for that host.  Ideas?
>
> Oh, and using 'net use...' with the Samba system's user/pass works
> just GREAT, and we may resort to that, but were trying to avoid it.
>
> Any other tricks I can do? So users can easily log in from the GUI?

This is an old thread, but I wanted to register a solution.

All that is required when entering a user name for the
outside-the-domain Samba server is to enter the name as:

\username

The leading \ removes the domain from being sent.  Works for me, YMMV!

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A