[Samba] Fwd: Re: Samba 3.4 / 3.5: Printer settings getting lost on server

Jack Downes jax at nwmt.us
Fri Jan 28 00:37:29 MST 2011

Marc,
I don't have an answer that solves your issue, however, I prefer cups to
samba printing for most things and tend to look at Samba as my method of
delivering drivers for printers - when I'm building a printserver. This
little

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /b "HCMMNET4" /x /n "part of the n
switch" /if /f windir\inf\ntprint.inf /r
"http://printserver.krh.int:631/printers/HCMMNET4" /m "MS Publisher
Imagesetter"

This little line is the core of one of my scripts for "converting" from
Samba printers to cups printers.  Now... one of the side effects of this
is that the user gets full control on all their printers but none of
their changes affect anyone else.  I consider this the best of both worlds.

If you (or anyone else) would like, I can email you a copy of the code.
It autoit (vb style) code, so nothing too hard to work with.

I'm becoming much more ambitious on my next efforts incorporating a
database and per-vlan settings according to user and group (ADS).  It'll
be interesting to see if I can make much progress on this over time.