[Samba] Fwd: Re: Samba 3.4 / 3.5: Printer settings getting lost on server

Marc Muehlfeld Marc.Muehlfeld at medizinische-genetik.de
Thu Jan 27 08:42:59 MST 2011

Nobody who can help use with this issue?
A developer already began to fix it 3/4 year ago, but never created a patch
that finally fix the whole problem.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Re: [Samba] Samba 3.4 / 3.5: Printer settings not available for
normal users
Datum: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:32:58 +0100
Von: Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld at medizinische-genetik.de>
An: Jack Downes <jax at nwmt.us>
CC: samba at lists.samba.org

Am 18.01.2011 02:09, schrieb Jack Downes:
> I don't consider this one a problem and don't want this behavior to go away.

Then I think, we have different problems. Here's a longer description of mine:

Normally the admin uploads drivers to the samba server using the APW. Then the
admin configures the printers (number of trays, etc.). And when users add a
printer, the driver is downloaded to the workstation and the settings the
admin made, are preconfigured. Some of this settings can only be set as admin,
what makes sense (e. g. number of tray). Other settings the user can change
("settings" button in the "general" tab) like default tray, duplex,...

The problem that came up in 3.4 and still exists, is that e. g. for Sharp
MX-2600 drivers, the settings the admin made are not visible for normal users
(like number of trays). So the user only sees 2 instead of 5 trays here. And
the user have no way to change this, because it's greyed out.

This is before/after switching to 3.4 or higher from the viewpoint of a normal
user:
https://bugzilla.samba.org/attachment.cgi?id=5961

If I grant SePrintOperatorPrivilege to the user, all settings are correct. But
then he can administrate the printers. And this nobody really wants.

Regards,
Marc