[Samba] Basic question for user/pass authentication

J. L. Cabral jelocabral at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 13:27:33 MST 2011

Dear, I have Debian + Samba and I've created a smb.conf in order to
authenticate users I've created with "useradd -s /bin/false" and after
that added to samba with "smbpasswd -a user".

I've created the share in /var/share with rwxrwxrwx.

I edited some lines from smb.conf in GLOBAL and SHARE sections.

I use:

security = user

but when from the Windows machine I access the share resource:

net use W: \\sambahost\share with samba user y pass

I get "Access denied" but I can see the resource.

What can be the problem ??? Do I have to use for Samba the same
password as used in Windows or not ???

Thanks a lot,

JeLo