[Samba] Samba hangs the boot on Gentoo.

Mike 1100100 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 07:03:01 MST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Aleksandr Poteriachin
<insp1re2991 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe you can give any advice on how to
> boot to my system without loading samba and uninstalling it?

Aleksandr,

If you are starting samba daemon the usual gentoo way - <rc-update add
samba default> - I suggest using a gentoo install disc to chroot into
your environment to temporarily disable samba so you can provide the
list with your smb.conf, or results of smbclient -L,U,I,M, etc.

Boot from gentoo-minimal-install-disc and at ~#

mount /dev/sdx# /mnt/gentoo  ((x=whatever letter your hard drive is; #
= whatever partition number designates /))
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
mount /dev/sdx# /mnt/gentoo/boot ((x=whatever letter your hard drive
is; # = whatever partition number designates /boot))
cd /mnt/gentoo
mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update && source /etc/profile

Now you have access to your operating system.
Type command:  rc-update del samba default

Now you can reboot and the computer should start up normally since the
samba daemon has been removed from the default startup process.

HTH,

Mike